Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Holle's Lessons From Greece


This trip was a learning experience for me on many levels. My biggest source of anxiety as departure drew near was the thought of flying overseas…literally. I don’t know why I felt safer flying over land, but I have gotten over that. Overseas flights require bigger aircraft which are much smoother in the air. That was easy!

I learned that I don’t always have to be in control and self-sufficient. As a single parent working full-time and managing a household entirely on my own, I have become accustomed to doing everything myself and not relying on anyone for anything. In Greece, towns are not laid out in grids and so I quickly lost what I thought was my good sense of direction. I learned to trust Libby’s and not feel like a loser because I got turned around. I also got used to asking for directions and how to pronounce things in Greek without feeling like a total dork. It was easier for me to be part of a team than I ever thought it would be.

I learned that I have gotten tunnel vision. I have been so focused on the daily grind that I have literally neglected to stop and smell the roses. I kept my daydreams, but that is all they were. I dreamt of going to far-away lands, but didn’t really buy in to the idea of actually going. Now that a dream has been actualized I can not only dream but plan future excursions and focus on making them happen. I also find myself stopping to enjoy simple pleasures from listening to my kids laughing loudly (rather than begging them to settle down) to getting up at the crack of dawn just to have a quiet cup of coffee and watch the squirrels on the deck.

I have learned how wonderfully diverse our planet is. Docking in ports of call full of tourists exposed me to people from all parts of the world and it was fun to try and figure out their accents, if not their languages. I now fully appreciate the language courses I took in high school and college as well as what I used to consider my mom’s “boring” subscription to National Geographic. I am now more determined to share multi-cultural lessons and experiences with my students in the hopes of promoting not only tolerance, but wonder and a sense of adventure and desire to venture beyond the county and state.

I learned that home will not fall apart if I am not there for 8 days. My kids had a wonderful week with the grandparents and the plants got watered.

I learned that people are people no matter where you go. A cheerful smile and a hello translate positively anywhere. I was warned of the dangers of Athens and airports and while I remained alert to my surroundings, I was not so concerned with protecting my purse that I missed the bougainvillea draping over a balcony in Rhodes. Most people had a working knowledge of English and were very helpful when questioned about directions, local customs or where to find a good sandwich. Although, if a suave waiter offers to make you a deal on dinner, make sure the fish he is showing you is on the menu with the price next to it!

I learned that the Department of Homeland Security is doing its job and port agents in Turkey don’t joke around. I haven’t watched the news since I got home and that is a major change for me, as I have been quite the news hound for several years. I like knowing that the world is safer than the media portrays it and living in fear definitely makes life less enjoyable.

I learned to be patient. I have no control over grumpy airline personnel or the weather and that I would eventually get home despite both.

I could go on and on, as the lessons were many and multi-faceted. But I will leave it with these thoughts that have come foremost to mind. I would like to publicly offer my sincere and deepest appreciation to the family of Sherry Smith and the devoted people who have made the Sherry Smith Fellowship a reality. Without them, this trip would not have been possible and these lessons would not have been learned at this time of my life. I sensed Sherry’s presence with me several times as I sailed the Aegean Sea and I think she knows that her vision has been realized for many teachers here in Gadsden County. Thank you!

1 comment:

msred said...

Hello Holle and Libby. I was so excited to read about your trip to Greece. I have been planning for several years to travel to Santorini after I retire in 2008. Reading your article in the paper and then visiting the web site, makes me even more excited to travel there. Thanks to both of you. Libby, you may remember me from Centenary UMC, Suzie Redmon. Take care.