Thursday, June 7, 2007

Beth and Libby's excellent adventure

Ok, so we aren't traveling with Bill and Ted But, we do have Larry, so that gives us a reason to feel most triumphant :-) (See, Judson, we ARE bringing the 80's back!)

Where are we going, you ask? On an insane trip to IL and IN to bring back three baby horses. A little background -- when we started looking for a horse to replace Beth's endurance horse, she found a GORGEOUS Shagya on one fo the sale sites. Problem? Not only was he expensive, the breeder wouldn't sell him to an endurance only home. She had great hopes of him doing well in the dressage world, and as Beth wasn't considering a switch to a different equestrian sport, she couldn't promise that. So, the breeder suggested looking at some of the babies that she had. At first, we thought, nah. But the more she and Larry discussed it, the more it made sense. So, she called me and said, "I want to do this, but you have to do it with me." For some reason, I said yes. This divorce thing is clearly making me lose my mind! ;-) So, we began planning this whole adventure, picking out the babies, getting Chino sold and scheduling and rescheduling the trip.

After several setbacks, including reselling Chino, here we are. On the road, finally! The pictures below are Beth's two babies, Chiron, the grey two year old, Wineglass Ripple, who is the yearling bay (will grey eventually) and my filly, H. Wineglass Shiraz, is in the middle. (What am I thinking?!! I don't even LIKE mares! eek!)


















The trip got off to a bit off an inauspicious beginning, as Larry thought he'd help me hurry by calling two hours before we were to leave and tell me that he and Beth were sitting in the driveway waiting on me. =:-0 A particularly horrid thing to do someone with an anxiety disorder!

So, I was really, really, really lucky and only passed one cop and was able to drop *almost* to the speed limit by the time he passed me, so that was a Good Thing. I arrived 30 mins before the drop-dead-pull-out-of-the-driveway deadline and in really, really foul mood.

They had not been waiting all that time for me. We were ready, but basically it was a ploy to get me to hurry. I was pretty pissed -- enouh so that Beth had to put the two of us in time out for the first part of the trip.

Thankfully, some nice quiet meditation, an x and some lunch, and I felt MUCH better, and at this point, we are off of restrictions and everyone is playing well with each other.

We have entered Tennessee and have about five hours or so to go. Beth is a terrific driver and I'm hanging out in the back, typing away on the computer. :-)

More as we head north . . .

No comments: